The C40 City Adviser will act as the focal point for long-term climate action planning within the city. S/he will
be responsible for engaging internal and external stakeholders; facilitating knowledge transfer across the city
and the wider C40 network; and working with C40 and consultants to provide high-quality tailored technical
assistance to support locally-led efforts.
Technical assistance provided will need to be comprehensive and may consist of: a review of the city’s
existing plan(s) and capacity and national level climate commitments; scenario modelling; sector-level
C40.SOP/HR/001 F2 2
roadmaps; climate risk assessments; stakeholder engagement; access to climate finance; and monitoring and
The ideal candidate will have a strong background in carbon accounting and/or climate risk assessments,
climate action planning and stakeholder engagement; experience working with cities on climate action
planning; and excellent project management and communication skills.
Working closely with Medellin, the Head of Climate Action Planning in Latin America and C40’s Regional
Director for Latin America, the City Advisor will develop and implement a delivery strategy to support Medellin
in developing / updating an ambitious and robust climate action plan that is compliant with the goals of the
Paris Agreement. Main areas of responsibility are:
• Contribute to updating the city’s climate action planning to deliver mitigation and adaptation outcomes,
inclusive low-carbon resilient development consistent with the ambitions of the Paris Agreement;
• Engage internal and external stakeholders to ensure their commitment to resource and implement
ambitious and transformational action and facilitate better national and local integration of climate
• Manage consultants and coordinate technical assistance with the aim to build city capacity to implement
• Facilitate the city’s engagement in C40 Cities networks and initiatives.
• Demonstrable experience in government, business or NGO sectors with a focus on sustainability and/or
climate change, and substantive experience working with or within municipal governments;
• Technical expertise in completing city-wide greenhouse gas emission inventories, climate risk assessments
and developing climate action plans;
• Excellent project-management, strategic thinking and analytical capabilities, with MS Excel experience and
data management skills;
• Demonstrable problem-solving, budget and people management experience, including working with third
party delivery teams, and ability to manage multiple parallel tasks;
• Strong interpersonal, relationship building and written and verbal communication skills, combined with
English and Spanish fluency.
• Strong stakeholder engagement experience, as well as experience in developing or facilitating webinars and
• International experience, working across different cultures, languages and time zones.
Applicants must already have the right to work in Colombia. Some travel may be required as part of the role.
This position is based in Medellin.
Interested applicants should submit a curriculum vitae and cover letter. Closing date for
receipt of applications is Sunday, 22 July 2018.
To learn more about the work of C40 and our cities, please visit www.c40.org, follow us on Twitter @c40cities
and like us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/C40Cities.