Global Green Growth InstituteCrecimiento económico sostenible e incluyente
Objectives/Purpose of the Assignment
Provide professional services for generation of technical information to support zero deforestation agreements with production chains (oil palm, forest chain, beef among others) to update the reference statistics, data analysis and georeferencing (commercial reforestation, forest cover, deforestation, etc.) and articulate statistical information between IDEAM, MADS and other affiliated entities. The consultant will be part of the technical team of the Forest Monitoring System at IDEAM with experience in digital image processing applied to monitoring the dynamics of the forest cover in Colombia.
Contract type: full-time, deliverable based
Contract duration: July 2020 – June 2021
Scope of Work
Under the supervision of the Policy Lead of GGGI Colombia and the co-supervision of a Technical leader for Digital Image processing in the Forest and Carbon Monitoring System at IDEAM the Digital Image processing Consultant will contribute to strengthening the institutional effectiveness of the IDEAM in their effectiveness to reduce deforestation and to promote sustainable, productive and socially inclusive landscapes through the provision of technical deliveries in the following:
- Generate a detailed work plan and activities schedule established in agreement with the Leader of Digital Image Processing at IDEAM.
- Analyze databases and generate statistical reports from commercial plantation records or other information related to zero deforestation agreements.
- Collect and analyzed geo-referenced information from forest plantation records, to support the generation of forest cover maps or for policy clusters projections.
- Support the digital image processing for the generation of deforestation estimates, regeneration and/or change detection in other coverages, in the scenes assigned by the D&D coordination.
- Generate and/or update forest cover and deforestation reports for zero deforestation agreements with production sectors (Oil Palm, forest chain, beef among others) for the periodicity and scales defined by the IDEAM in coordination with partner entities.
- Generate maps, reports and spatial analysis derived from Deforestation data, in accordance with the methodology adopted.
- Participate, when required, in meetings, workshops, forums or other spaces with public, private entities, NGOs and/or producer organizations.
The expected outputs are the following
A complete workplan based and a detailed methodological approach must be prepared by the consultant.
(2-7) 6 bimonthly progress reports delivered every eight (8) weeks, and 1 final technical report delivered at the end of the contract.
A detailed progress report of the activities and products support every four weeks. The activities may include, among others,
- Progress in databases analysis and generation of statistical reports from commercial plantation records or other information related to zero deforestation agreements.
- Progress in collect and analyzed geo-referenced information from forest plantation records, to support the generation of forest cover maps.
- If possible, scenes processed for the generation of deforestation estimates, regeneration and/or change detection in other coverages, assigned by the D&D coordination.
- Forest cover and deforestation reports for zero-deforestation agreements with production sectors (Oil Palm, forest chain, among others) for the periodicity and scales defined by the IDEAM.
- Maps, reports and spatial analysis derived from Deforestation data, in accordance with the methodology adopted.
When required, documents to support participation in meetings, workshops, forums or other spaces with public, private entities, NGOs and/or producer organizations.
- (MANDATORY) Must be a Colombian citizen, or a foreigner holding a valid Work Visa.
- (MANDATORY) Degree in Forest engineering, environmental engineering or related engineering degree.
- (MANDATORY) A Postgraduate degree in GIS analysis. Properly management of GIS/Image processing software is a plus.
- (MANDATORY) A minimum of 8 years of relevant work experience in the field of geographical information systems, forestry studies, environmental zoning or environmental evaluation or monitoring. Also, research in forest products is a plus.
- (MANDATORY) A minimum of six years’ experience in the aforementioned fields when the applicant holds a postgraduate degree in the areas described above.
- (MANDATORY) Experience in the Colombian forest commercial plantations GIS analysis.
- (MANDATORY) A strong understanding of Colombia´s public institutions related with forest sector is essential.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Proficiency in geospatial analysis tools (QGIS, ArcGIS, ERDAS,) is a plus.
- Exceptional analytical and quantitative skills; capacity for synthesis, presentation and communication; and strategic thinking skills
- Organized with excellent time management and attention to detail.
- Strong and matured interpersonal skills and proven ability to work with teams.
- Ability to work well under pressure and have a flexible approach to tasks given.