We are looking for a research assistant to provide technical and scientific support in the implementation of strategies and projects related to water management, river basin planning and sustainable sanitation.
Join SEI Latin America and be part of the Institute’s formal presence in this dynamic region. For many years, SEI staff from around the world have managed project engagements in Latin America working in thematic areas as diverse as air quality, environmental governance, trade in agricultural commodities, energy systems, and water management and sanitation. Recently, SEI has established a permanent base in Latin America by opening an office in Bogotá, Colombia. We are looking to build a team of talented and committed environmental and development professionals to contribute to the consolidation of this new center.
We are looking for a person, working under the leadership of the SEI Latin America Water Program Manager, who is committed to supporting research work carried out in pursuit of a more sustainable future for human communities and natural ecosystems. You will provide technical and scientific support to the Latin America Center Water Program in the implementation of strategies and projects related to the water management, river basin planning and sustainable sanitation.
Some of the work will be carried out in the field under physically demanding circumstances which means that you need to be able to work in various climatic conditions and in remote locations. This position also includes domestic and international travel.
- Supporting the development of scientific research, models and tools related to water systems evaluation and planning
- Supporting the development and application of tools and activities for stakeholder engagement, capacity building and decision making in the water sectors
- Working with public and private institutions in different areas to collect biophysical and socio-environmental information (fieldwork, as well as desk work)
- Supporting preparation of reports, scientific publications, guides, manuals and presentations.
Who you are
To succeed in this role, you are organized, collaborative, solution oriented, proactive and have excellent communications skills in both Spanish and English. You are goal oriented and have the ability to work independently and are excellent at meeting dates and deadlines. You are able to work under physically demanding circumstances and willing to travel.
In addition, to being able to work effectively in the water program, you should possess the following specific qualifications:
- B.S. in engineering, environmental or earth sciences with 1-3 years of experience, or a relevant M.S. and no professional experience
- Knowledge/experience of work in analysis and modeling of surface hydrology, water resources systems and infrastructure of hydro-dependent sectors, river basin management, sanitation systems, and/or water management-ecosystem interactions
- Solid knowledge of scientific computing tools (R, Python, Julia, etc.)
- Experience of geographic information systems in spatial analysis and modeling
- Experience of developing and deploying WEAP models
- Able to work in the field and willing to travel.
How to apply
We are reviewing applications on a ongoing basis so please submit your application as soon as possible, however no later than September 28, 23:59 Bogota local time. Applications should be written in English and consist of a short CV and cover letter.
We only accept applications through our recruitment system. Please apply online using the button below and include:
- Cover letter highlighting relevant qualifications and experience
- Curriculum vitae.