About Accion: Accion is a global nonprofit committed to creating a financially inclusive world, with a pioneering legacy in microfinance and fintech impact investing. We catalyze financial service providers to deliver high-quality, affordable solutions at scale for the three billion people who are left out of – or poorly served by – the financial sector. For more than 50 years, Accion has helped tens of millions of people through its work with more than 110 partners in 50 countries.
Accion’s Global Advisory Solutions (GLAS) team provides experienced operational and management support to help build sustainable and scalable companies focused on serving the financial needs of underserved individuals and small businesses. We strengthen our partners and maximize their impact by leveraging innovations in technology and financial services to lower costs and increase quality at scale.
Accion is looking for a 100% bilingual (English-Spanish) Risk Manager to provide technical expertise to the Global Advisory Solutions (GLAS) Latin America team. S/he will play an essential role in the methodologies definition to ensure that the risks originated in the Financial Service Providers’ (FSP) digital related operations, and expenses associated with the credit cycle (originations, account maintenance and collections) can be predicted and are acceptable to the business.
The Risk Manager will support three core areas to help drive sustainable growth for our clients: risk analysis (stability), credit analytics (insight), and growth strategies (quality). Through risk analysis we help our partners critically evaluate the risks facing an organization – both internally and externally – with an integrated risk management approach. With credit analytics, we use deep data statistical techniques to ascertain the effectiveness of product design, customer identification, underwriting, renewal, and collection policies both through traditional and digital channels. By focusing on understanding the environment and data better, we identify process improvement and product recommendations to help FSPs develop strategies to increase their efficiency, profitability and customer base.
Working as part of a global, cross-functional team, the Risk Manager will represent Accion as an advisor to our clients, build client relationships and support a variety of risk and credit analytics activities and strategies for our clients. The ideal candidate will possess excellent people, project management, and capacity building skills, and a deep understanding of data analytics, risk modeling, and credit underwriting, collections and renewals for FSPs in emerging markets.
FSP Advisory Project Support
- Building capacity and assisting FSPs in implementing Accion’s Portfolio Risk Management tools which are designed to help in:
- Monitoring and evaluating performance indicators of the loan portfolio and identifying trends for business growth, product acceptance, product cycle stage, and risk levels
- Monitoring and evaluating loan officer productivity levels
- Ensuring that overall business plan objectives are met and advising management on performance through timely reporting
- Producing portfolio quality analysis reports (Net flow / trend analysis, vintage analysis, early payment defaults, and was/is analysis)
- Evaluating the credit process flow to identify opportunities for improvement and recommendations for corrective strategies and tools
- Conducting on-going review and analysis of credit portfolios to determine delinquency patterns and recommend appropriate actions
- Documenting the processes related with the implementation of risk analysis tools
- Supporting the implementation of Transactional Risk tools (credit scoring or parametric tools) to support the development of strategies for customer acquisition (traditional and digital), portfolio growth, account maintenance and recoveries
- Helping to identify Operational and Market related risks, generating the adequate documentation and control tools where applicable
- Collaborating in the development of policy and process guidelines for new products or commercial initiatives
Accion and Global Advisory Solutions Support
- Supporting business development efforts including the creation and presentation of project proposals to clients and/or donors
- Participating with other members of the Global Advisory Solutions and Investments teams in the evaluation of potential investment and/or technical assistance partners
- Effectively representing and communicate the value of the team’s risk and credit analytics service offering, and how it can be integrated into Accion’s advisory solutions for client FSPs
- Contributing to the overall strategy and operations of Global Advisory Solutions by providing insights on trends, areas for growth and market positioning in the area of risk and credit analytics
- Building Accion’s capacity by documenting and sharing project results and disseminating useful information and tools through a variety of knowledge exchange mediums such as brown bags, team meetings/debriefs, workshops, blogging, webinars, etc.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Industrial Engineering, Finance, Mathematics, Statistics, or Business. Masters is related field or MBA preferred.
- Generally 8 to 12 years of progressive experience in Individual Lending or retail operations in a regulated deposit taking financial institution.
- Background in financial analysis with statistics or programming is ideal.
- Advanced statistical and financial skills, Credit Risk Modeling/Analysis, Data Mining, Financial knowledge; background in financial analysis with statistics or programming is preferred.
- Experience in new business models and digital lending preferred.
- Knowledge of:
- Portfolio Risk / Management and clear understanding of portfolio risks related to vintage and delinquency trends;
- Market and Operational risks; and
- Standard reports required for Credit Business Management, and experience ensuring data-integrity and timely delivery.
- Strong advisory project management and capacity building skills.
- Advanced oral and written communication and presentation skills; English language skills required and Spanish or French a plus.
- Excellent relationship building skills, with an orientation to customer service, and an ability to sell ideas and motivate others.
- Openness to new ideas and willingness to adapt and innovate.
- Ability to apply strong analytical skills and sound judgment.
- Eagerness to learn and keen interest in staying abreast of industry trends.
- Interested in our mission and working globally.
- Willingness to embody our values of excellence, respect, and passion for social change.
- Ability to lead projects and coordination with multiple teams from conception to delivery.
- Strong leadership skills and ability to influence leadership/decision makers within the organization.
- Excellent relationship management with good presentation and commercial skills.
- Must be adaptable, innovative, and possess good analytical skills & sound judgment; excellent oral and written communication skills; customer-service oriented; strong interpersonal and relationship building skills; and ability to sell ideas and motivate staff.